The Potential Benefits of Vaping CBD to Reduce Nicotine Dependence and Withdrawal
During the past decade, vaping has gained popularity as a potentially less harmful nicotine delivery system than cigarettes. By switching to a heated coil and nicotine-based e liquids, smokers are still able to enjoy the physical sensation of smoking without the tar and thousands of chemicals inhaled when tobacco burns.
Although some may view vaping as a way to quit smoking, these electronic delivery systems are not marketed as a smoking cessation product; they are classified as an alternative nicotine source. There is no scientific evidence to verify that vaping nicotine e-liquids helps smokers quit. Fortunately, vaping CBD shows potential for helping smokers break their nicotine addiction and their dependence on cigarettes.
The Health Risks Associated with Nicotine Addiction
The problem with vaping nicotine e-liquids is that the former cigarette smoker is still feeding their nicotine addiction. In fact, many vapors find it necessary to vape liquids with a higher nicotine content than typically found in the average cigarette to satisfy their cravings.
Nicotine is said to be as addictive as heroin and detrimental to your health. Nicotine affects your heart rate, hormones, and digestive processes. Nicotine also:
- Works as a stimulant and a sedative
- Contributes to atherosclerosis, hardened arteries
- Raises blood pressure, increasing your risk of heart attack or stroke
- Contributes to ulcer formation
- Temporarily increases blood pressure and heart rate
- Increases heart muscle oxygen consumption
- Reduces insulin sensitivity, increasing the risk of diabetes
The Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal
Knowing that nicotine is detrimental to good health often prompts smokers and vapers to break the cycle and conquer their nicotine addiction. Anyone who’s tried to quit knows how difficult the process can be, how hard it is to overcome the urge to smoke. The symptoms of nicotine withdrawal can last weeks or months, and most people give in to their cravings within their first week of trying to break their habit. Some of the common symptoms of nicotine withdrawal include:
- Feelings of anxiety or depression
- Feeling irritable or on edge
- Tingling hands and feet
- Increased sweating
- Difficulty with concentration
- Sleep disturbances
- Slowed heart rate
- Increased appetite and weight gain
Even when withdrawal symptoms subside, many smokers still feel the urge to smoke. That’s because smoking is as much as a habit as a physical addiction.
The Potential Benefits of Vaping CBD in Place of Nicotine
When trying to break a nicotine habit, vaping CBD may prove more beneficial than vaping traditional nicotine vape products. CBD shows the potential to alleviate cigarette cravings and reduce nicotine withdrawal symptoms while providing other potential health and wellness benefits. The benefits of CBD are possible because of the way CBD is shown to interact with your endocannabinoid system.
Understanding Your Endocannabinoid System
You have a communication system of messengers and receptors that regulate nearly every vital function and process in your body. Its called your endocannabinoid system. This system is so vital to normal daily functions that many researchers believe endocannabinoid deficiencies are the cause of many health disturbances, causing symptoms when the endocannabinoid system is out of balance. Just some of the many functions of your endocannabinoid system include:
- Cardiovascular regulation
- Pain and pain perception
- Your moods and emotions
- Stress responses
- Immune system function
- Muscle movement and neuroprotection
- Regulation of your sleep cycles
- Energy and metabolism
- Regulation of digestive processes and appetite
The Messengers of Your Endocannabinoid System
Cannabinoids are the messengers of your endocannabinoid system, the neurotransmitters that communicate with the receptors. Your body responds to two types. The first type are endocannabinoids, they (anandamide and 2-AG) are made as needed in your body. The second type of cannabinoid that interacts with this system are exogenous, from an outside source. Exogenous cannabinoids are found in CBD, the extract of the cannabis plants.
Ideally, your body would produce all the cannabinoids it needs to stay in balance, but the neurotransmitters produced in your body are made as needed and broken down quickly by enzymes. When your body is under stress, you may need more cannabinoids than your body can produce.
Supplementing the endocannabinoid system with the exogenous cannabinoids of nonpsychoactive hemp can potentially balance your endocannabinoid system. Restoring balance to the endocannabinoid system theoretically explains why CBD has the potential to provide so many health and wellness benefits, including the potential to alleviate nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
Alleviating Smoking Urges and Withdrawal Symptoms with CBD
Drug addiction is a chronically relapsing disorder. Nicotine is a highly addictive drug. Studies show that CBD might have the potential to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. While most reported studies were conducted on animal subjects, several rely on the data collected from human participants.
- You may be intrigued by the fact that your endocannabinoid system is also responsible for the regulation of the rewards center of your brain. In recent years several studies published in Substance Abuse have investigated the effect of CBD on mental and physical health. Studies indicate that CBD might reduce the desire for addictive substances and potentially\ reduce or alleviate withdrawal symptoms.
- Vaping CBD could help you taper off of cigarettes. In a double-blind test, 24 smokers were given an inhaler containing CBD or a placebo and asked to use their device for one week. At the conclusion of the study, those inhaling CBD reported a 40 percent decrease in the number of cigarettes they smoked. Those given the placebo reported no change. This study led researchers to recommend further studies on the value of CBD as a potential treatment for nicotine addiction.
- To test the effects of CBD on cigarette use, 30 participants were tested while smoking regularly, then tested again after not smoking overnight. Some of the test subjects were given CBD and others a placebo. The study concluded that those given the placebo had a greater bias toward images related to cigarettes than those who were given This study suggests that CBD reduces the cues that trigger smoking. The second phase of the study concluded that the use of CBD decreased the perceived pleasure of cigarette smoking.
How Vaping Mimics the Smoking Experience
If you are unfamiliar with vaping, that’s ok. There are three basic parts to a vape pen. There is a battery to supply the power to the atomizer, a coil that heats when the atomizer is activated, and a cartridge that holds the e-liquid. While smoking relies on igniting tobacco with a flame, vaping requires no combustion.
As the coil heats, the e-liquid is turned to vapor, an experience quite similar to smoking a cigarette. While most agree that vaping is a potentially healthier alternative to smoking, those who vape nicotine are still addicted to nicotine. Vaping CBD could reduce your urge to smoke while alleviating the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Plus, many former smokers find that vaping CBD still allows them to fulfill their “hand-to-mouth” habit established by smoking.
Differentiating Between CBD Vape Products
When searching for a CBD vape product, it is important to know your alternatives. You have several types of vaping products to choose from. Just some of your options include:
- Disposable CBD Pens
Many people new to vaping prefer the convenience of a disposable vape pen. A disposable unit allows you to experience all the potential benefits of a CBD vape right out of the box. You won’t ever need to wait for your batteries to charge or change the prefilled cartridge.
- Rechargeable Batteries and Prefilled CBD Cartridges A rechargeable unit still allows you the convenience of using prefilled CBD cartridges. Since the batteries are rechargeable, many find this alternative to be more cost-effective. Using a prefilled cartridge means you never have the inconvenience of needing to refill your tank.
- CBD E-Liquid CBD e-liquid is intended for use with a refillable vape tank. CBD e-liquid may be your method of choice if your currently vape and want to break your nicotine habit or experience the other potential benefits of CBD in a familiar form.
The Many Potential Benefits of Vaping CBD
Vaping CBD has the potential to satisfy your urge to smoke while providing many other potential health benefits and has the potential to provide faster relief than ingesting other types of CBD products.
It’s essential that you know these are not medical claims. CBD is not a drug or a treatment for any medical disorder. CBD is a dietary supplement that shows the potential to interact with your endocannabinoid system, potentially improving your overall health and wellness.
For CBD products from non-psychoactive hemp visit CBDistillery. We offer a quality assortment of CBD products including tinctures, topicals, capsules, and CBD vape products. For more information about the potential health and wellness benefits of CBD, download The Ultimate CBD User Guide. Vaping CBD could help you eliminate your nicotine habit for good.